The Mobile App
This website is a companion to the America’s Cup& the San Francisco Waterfront mobile app for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, as well as for Android devices. You’ll enjoy its nearly 300 listings for waterfront attractions, accompanying Google maps, and photo slideshows, along with comments from both San Francisco residents and world travelers.
With the app in your pocket, you can enjoy San Francisco’s vibrant waterfront like a local, immersing yourself in the kind of colorful insider information your friends will love hearing about:
- Which San Francisco beach was the 1986 birthplace of the Burning Man festival?
- Did Mythbusters conclude that prisoners could actually have escaped from Alcatraz?
- What grocery store is so popular with singles that it’s known as the “Meet Market“?
- Which restaurant serves “some of the finest Sicilian dishes and fresh seafood you’ll find anywhere in the world,” according to Wine Spectator?
- How can you go on FREE guided tours of major attractions like the Ferry Building, the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Art Deco murals in the Marina?
- Where can you play atop more than 8,000 square feet of trampolines?
- What clipper ship starred in a 1930s movie with Clark Gable?
- Which sculpture was completed after the artist had chopped off his trigger finger in protest of WWI?
And that’s just the start!
San Francisco’s prime attractions decorate the length of her stunning waterfront, from the Golden Gate Bridge to the state-of-the-art baseball stadium, AT&T Park. Along the way are Pier 39 and Fisherman’s Wharf, Alcatraz Island, historic Fort Point, Ghirardelli Square, dozens of parks and plazas, countless public art installations, restaurants for all tastes and wallets, sophisticated nightlife, a wide variety of museums, historic ships, elegant hotels, sports venues, superb shopping, and so much more.
With the San Francisco Waterfront to help guide your way, you’ll get the most out of every moment. Consider these useful features:
- Nearly 300 entries and more than 3,000 photos let you check out each destination before you visit.
- Hidden Gems — the destinations locals love (but travelers don’t know about).
- Entries are sortable by useful criteria like Guilty Pleasures, Arts & Entertainment, Kid-Friendly, and more.
- Fun-to-read original text by two long-time SF residents (who also happen to be travel writers).
- Google maps for each destination.
- Share your thoughts with interactive comments, and save your favorites.
- Share photos and entries via e-mail.
- Offline content you can access at any time without an internet connection.
- In-app calling from your iPhone so you can make reservations, book tickets, etc.
- Works with your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, or with Android devices.
Check out this app and you, too, will leave your heart in San Francisco! Buy it once and get free upgrades.
We hope you’ll use the mobile app to explore the San Francisco waterfront, and that you’ll love it as much as we do.
Laurie McAndish King